Dental Check-Up & Clean
Preventive dentistry is the modern way of reducing the amount of dental treatment necessary to maintain a healthy mouth. It helps you to keep your teeth.
The two major causes of tooth loss are decay and gum disease. The better we prevent or deal with these two problems, the more chance people have of keeping their teeth for life.
Many Sydney dentists and dental practices make you go through the time and cost of an initial dental appointment before referring you to a hygienist for scale and clean. At SO Dental Chatswood, all your dental checkup and cleaning are carried out by our experienced and friendly dentists. We carefully examine your general health conditions, oral cavity, teeth before and during the treatment.
We use modern technology and our Dentist’s up-to-the-minute knowledge with skills, all in a virtually pain-free environment.
Reasons Why You Need a Dental Check Up and Good Oral Hygiene
- To prevent gum disease | Gum (periodontal) disease is a bacterial infection caused by plaque (the sticky, colorless, bacteria-filled film that adheres to your teeth). As plaque builds up on teeth, it hardens and becomes tartar, which can be difficult to remove. The bacteria in plaque produce toxins that irritate the gums and cause inflammation and gingivitis (bad breath which can result in chronic bad breath). If bacteria are not removed and the inflammation continues, the gum tissues can be destroyed and more advanced stages of gum disease may follow which can result in the necessity for various surgical dental operations.
- To keep your teeth | Dental Check–ups and cleanings and brushing and flossing in between visits are vital to keeping your teeth.
- To prevent bad breath | Persistent bad breath (halitosis) has oral causes such as poor oral hygiene, periodontal disease, a coating on the surface of the tongue, food stuck between teeth, unclean dentures, oral carcinomas or throat infections. Regular dental checkups and cleanings are the best way to make sure that you are maintaining good oral hygiene.
- To have a brighter smile | Teeth cleaning by our dentists, however, can often remove extrinsic stain. In addition to removing plaque and tartar during your cleaning which is important to oral health, your teeth will be polished to a beautiful shine.
- To help maintain overall health | There is mounting evidence of a connection between a person’s oral and overall health. Recent studies have linked heart disease and strokes to gum disease. Although no causal relationships have been discovered, a dental cleaning every six months to keep your teeth and gums healthy could possibly reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke. In addition, if you have regular oral examinations, we may be the first health care provider to diagnose a health problem in its early stages.