What is an interdental brush?
An interdental brush is a small brush specially designed for cleaning between your teeth, where a regular toothbrush doesn’t reach. Using an interdental brush every day, as a complement to toothbrushing, is an easy and efficient method to keep your gums and teeth fresh and healthy. Cleaning with an interdental brush prevents gum inflammation, cavities and bad breath.
How to Use an Interdental Brush ( courtesy of Lion Corporation )
- 1. Use an interdental brush while looking into a mirror. Holding the brush like a pencil will make it easy to use.
- 2. Slowly slide the brush between two teeth, so as not to damage the gums.
- 3. While holding the brush horizontally, move it back and forth along the tooth surface 2 to 3 times.
*When cleaning between molars, it is effective to brush from both the inner and outer sides.
- 4. Lightly place the brush along the adjacent anterior and posterior teeth and brush.
- 5. Wash the brush with running cold water and store it in a well-ventilated place after use.
- 6. Replace your interdental brush when the bristles become splayed or short.
Reminders for Using an Interdental Brush
- It is important to select an appropriate size when choosing an interdental brush.
- Select a size that suits the condition of your gums and the locations for use.
Choose an interdental brush of a size that you can insert smoothly between your teeth, without it feeling tight.
- Use the interdental brush while checking the insertion direction of the brush in a mirror.
- When you use an interdental brush for the first time, start with the smallest size (SSS).
- If you cannot insert an interdental brush of the smallest size, it is recommended that you use dental floss instead.
- If you would like to know more about interdental brush, please ask our dentists or staff at SO Dental Chatswood for instructions.